JF project presentation

This week we had our project presentations (or more like project outlines…?) and I think it really helped in ensuring that all of us were on the same page about everyone’s duties. I am mostly in charge of collecting the oral histories and creating the website! I am extremely excited for the oral histories part as it is something that I have not really delved into since high school.

For the website, I am working John as the “leaders”! We are in charge of creating the layout for the website and ensuring that all of the items and collections are formatted correctly. This is a huge responsibility, but everyone else on the team is going to help as we go along!

Creative Commons & our project

I think we might be in a unique position because of the content that we are creating for this project. We are writing and publishing new oral histories/interviews with students/alumni/people connected to James Farmer. Also, there are certain pieces of Farmer content in the Special Collections that do not have creative commons licensing and would require extra steps like contacting the original interviewers to get access to publishing those materials. For our project, I can see use using a lot of fair use items and CC in the editing of our videos.

I am a bit confused about the whole looking at Wikipedia entries. I looked at historical events (Pearl Harbor attack, World War I) and then thought maybe that wasn’t the assignment, so I looked at objects (candles, computer mouse) and I still didn’t see a discussion tab. I did see a history tab for the objects that I looked at and it went over a brief description of antecedents and how the object came about (the needs for it, why the antecedent didn’t work, and what needed to be developed alongside it).

Also, just a quick update on our group project. Just submitted the finalized version of our group contract and we’re already making head way! We are currently trying to work around all of our busy schedules and find time to meet with Angie in the Digital Archiving Lab!

JF Project: group contract

Things are moving along smoothly! We just submitted our group contract, and have a more solid idea of where our project is going. One thing that I am worried about is how much we decided we would do. We’re completing new interviews with UMW students (including organization, transcription, captioning, and uploading onto our interface), organizing previous iterations of JF websites, and helping Special Collections by transcribing and captioning some of Farmer’s lectures. It is a bit ambitious to do and organize into a cohesive narrative that is helpful for our audience. I think we can do it! We just have to be aware of our timeline and be realistic in what we think we can accomplish once we get going.